Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Craft Room Planning: Part II

As mentioned yesterday, in my new place I have decided to use the dining room as the living room and the living room as the craft room.

To help me plan out how this layout could work to meet my needs, I created a miniature version of the floor plan along with furniture pieces that represented items I already had or intend on purchasing. I even laminated it for future use.

Some might think I’m crazy, but I think it’s quite genius. This way, when my awesome friends and family members are helping me move I know exactly where the big pieces of furniture are going so I can get the needed help on the big items and leave the little items to do on my own.

Here’s a quick shot of my planned furniture layout:

IMAG0318

Here’s a closer view of the two areas being discussed:

IMAG0319 

Craft Room (formerly the living room):

IMAG0320

My plan for the craft room is to use my 4x4 Expedit shelving as a room divider. On the craft side this will be used to store craft goodies. I will use kitchen cabinets and countertops from Ikea as workspace along the wall and against the shelving unit. Having my Jetmax cubes stacked 4 high and 5 wide will allow me additional storage. My last major addition will be to build the Ana White Craft Table to use in the center of the room. This will allow space for me and a friend to create together. I am still toying with the idea of adjusting the measurements of the craft table to allow enough space for 4 at once.

Living Room (formerly the dining room):

IMAG0321

My plan for the living room is to place my Shabby Chic China Cabinet against the 4x4 Expedit shelving to block off the craft goodies from being seen in the “living room” while keeping the Shabby Chic look that I’m going for in the living room area. My other Expedit shelf (in my current craft room) will be repurposed as a TV console. With a few baskets added this will also server some much needed storage needs. I already have a coffee table (currently brown) that I will be refinishing in some chalk paint to carry on the Shabby Chic look. Lastly, I and hoping to purchase the Hemnes Daybed from Ikea in white to use as a couch. With its beadboard look it will fit right in with my living room decor. I will use the trundle area as additional storage space.

It looks a little odd now with all of the miniatures (i.e. the countertops look like huge cabinets in my sample), but I think the layout will work great for my crafting needs.

Of course it isn’t as fun to look at with little pieces of laminated graph paper but once everything is in it’s place and the rooms are properly decorated, I’m hoping it will be just as I have imagined.

Check back in early June for the before and after pictures.

Until next time!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...